Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Bunny Cake

Each year Emily and I lived together, we made bunny cakes for Easter. Once we moved in with the men in our lives, we decided that carrying on the tradition would be fun. The bunnies have evolved over time; adding coconut "fur", carving them into realistic hares, and changing the colors. This year was no different, and I decided to try something new. The 2014 Easter Bunny Cake would be....a cartoon bunny face with a bow tie!

Bunny Cake 2014

Seeing as I gave up chocolate for Lent, I chose a double fudge box cake. I used two 8 inch pans as the base.  After fully cooling the two layers, I got to work.



First, cut one of the rounds into three sections making two "leaves" on each side. These will become the ears and the bow tie.



Next, build the bunny. One 8 inch round will be the face. The two "leaves" become the ears, and the remainder is the bow tie.


I used chocolate whipped frosting because the whipped is a little lighter and easier to work with. With the exposed cuts in the cake, the whip helps to avoid tears while frosting. Frost the WHOLE bunny.

Now here is my not so secret, secret. Toothpicks are amazing! Toothpicks are the best things ever when it comes to cake decoration! I wouldn't be anywhere without toothpicks! Okay, maybe I'm going a little far, but they are the perfect tool for sketching out the decorations before you begin with the real stuff. If you make a mistake with a toothpick, it is a quick fix (erase), and you are back on track.



Once you are satisfied with your toothpick sketch, start the real deal! Before you know it, you will have a beautiful bunny cake that is not only delicious, but it is also pretty darn adorable to lay your eyes on.

The finished product! 

Bunny Cake 2013

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love this year's bunny! So creative and so smart to draw out the design with the toothpicks ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete