Thursday, April 10, 2014

SkyRobics: An Absolute Repeat

Last night, I went out of my fitness comfort zone and tried something different. Something that had me reaching for the stars. Something I will absolutely be doing again. Last night I tried SkyRobics!


SkyRobics is a new new to me trend of working out on a trampoline. According to Sky Zone, SkyRobics is a low impact, high energy way to burn up to "1,000 calories in an hour".  The first two statements are completely accurate. I don't know about you, but there is something about jumping on a trampoline that brings a childlike smile to my face. I am fairly positive the smile never left my face!


 However, the class I attended was an intro class, so we didn't quite reach that 1,000 calorie mark. One of the other women in the class had an active tracker on, and by the end it read between 450-500 calories burned; still, not to shabby for sixty minutes of pure FUN!

Sky Zone socks to prevent slipping

On Tuesday night,  I received a text from one of the other teachers at school asking if I would be interested in a jump workout in Des Moines with a few other ladies. Of course I was! But, the 45 minute drive both ways didn't seem as fun. Luckily, we carpooled, and Adam told me suck it up...and I am so glad I did!

I'm sore today, so my fitness goal was achieved. Score!  The only suggestion I would give to people that are considering trampoline fitness would be to call ahead, and find out their busy times... then avoid those times at all costs! The experience was a blast because it was such a small group, four of us total!  If there had been 125 other jumpers...I may have had a different opinion :-)

SkyRobics

  • We started with a quick warm up which consisted of jumping side to side, back to front, etc. The instructor was amazing! Our class was supposed to be canceled due to low attendance, but she kept it going just for us; four teachers from 45 minutes away, bouncing, bouncing, bouncing. 

  • Then it was circuit time. There were six stations set up which ranged from TRX bands and battle ropes to bounding across the floor and spiderman jumps. The spiderman jumps were pretty fun once you got the hang of it, though they also caused my only crash of the night. 

  • Next was the cardio section. For this, we bounded up and back for two minutes and then played catch with a partner. During catch, we did high knees, butt kicks, butt drops and free jump. We were having so much fun, the time just flew by! 




*BONUS* When the workout was complete, our instructor took us to the foam pit! I was a little nervous at first, but the actual jump was pretty exhilarating! The worst part was the climb out of the pit. Try to imagine what it would feel like to climb out of quicksand made of kitchen sponges...




If you have anything like SkyZone in your area, I highly recommend it! It was a great switch up from my usual workouts. Plus for a cheap $7, it gave me just the boost I've been craving. 






Oh So Cosmo's take on SkyRobics

No comments:

Post a Comment