Wednesday, April 2, 2014

April Fool's

What are your thoughts on April Fool's Day? Do you love it or despise it? Are you plotting and scheming for days, or doing everything in your power to avoid another prank?

In years past, April Fool's has been a holiday of "watch out, because I'm going to get you" in our home. When it comes to life outside of work, Adam is a total kid a heart. He loves super heros, we watch way too many Disney movies, and playing pranks on April 1st is a given. Who knows why it started, but each year, I am on high alert all day. Heaven forbid something genuine and nonfictional ever happens on April 1st, because more than likely I will balk at the news.


But here is the strangest thing: the ultimate jokesters holiday came and went in our home without one trick, hoax, or escapade! I didn't even know that was possible! The closest attempt happened around dinner. Adam came home to eat, took off his duty belt, and announced he had the rest of the night off. I laughed, stuck out my tongue, and told him he needed to try harder if he was going to fool me...but it wasn't a joke! On a holiday that normally brings healthy anxiety to my world, I had one of the best stay at home evenings in weeks. We watched Mulan (what did I tell you about Disney movies), ordered pizza, worked out, and went out for ice cream.

The pizza and ice cream may have cancelled out the workout...oh well!

Yesterday was a perfect, prank free day. I loved every moment of it, and the resulting good mood is lasting into today! However, with my young at heart husband, I can't imagine "No Prank April" becoming a tradition, so I'm already scheming for next year. What pranks were pulled in your world this year?


In honor of this holiday of jest and joke, I am including a few pranks from our household's past.
  1. The toothpaste Oreo switch: all you need is a white toothpaste, a knife and gullible pray.
  2. You have now been subscribed to Cat Facts! text trick. Classic!
  3. The "I was moving things at work and broke my collarbone" phone call. Adam tried to pull this one on me a few years ago, but luckily his mom was privy to his ways and warned me ahead of time. 
  4. Your head in a jar in my fridge trick: Be careful who you pull this one on, because it can get pretty frightening. 
  5. Plastic wrap over the bedroom door frame: a slap in the morning face. 

Update: As Adam and I were driving to the gym last night he said, "I'm sorry yesterday was a prank free day." He then leaned over, gave me a kiss on the cheek, and whispered in my ear, "Don't worry, we can now have 364 prank filled ones." Uh oh, America! I'd better think of some good ones quick! :-) 



No comments:

Post a Comment