Monday, March 24, 2014

BFFs and Oreo Cakes

Ashlynn and I have been best friends forever since we were fourteen years old, and we have known each other since we could dance. She is one of my favorite people in the world, and my life wouldn't be near as much fun without her! Do you want to know the best part of the whole relationship? Seven years ago, she married my brother...so she is also my sister! Can you take a moment to imagine this situation? Ever holiday, I get to hang out with my best friend. And, I am literally her son's aunt. I love it! So when her birthday came this year, I knew I needed to make a fun cake in celebration. 


Decorating cakes has sort of become my joy. A few weeks ago, I made a bulldog cake for my old roommate, Emily. A few months before that, Adam celebrated with a Superman cake. At our age, we all have enough stuff, so creative cakes are a way for me to show how much I love my people without adding to anyone's hoarding problem. 

But the cakes have to be special to the person. Emily and Adam's cake ideas came to me right away, but Ashlynn stumped me. While several ideas bounced around my head, none seemed right...until I found the Oreo cake! Ashlynn is this tiny, athletic human being...who loves her Oreos! I couldn't tell you the last time I bought Oreos for my own house, because I know I can get my fix if I go visit her. Thus, it only seemed right to make her a big, fat, giant Oreo cake! 

Did I mention I gave up chocolate for Lent? This was going to be a challenge!




The big birthday celebration was scheduled for Saturday evening, so when the idea struck late Friday night, I ran to the store to gather my ingredients. I found a yummy filling recipe here (they have great ideas!), and adapted the rest for my own needs. 

Without further adieu...

THE OREO CAKE



  • 1 package (2-layer size) devil’s food cake mix
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups thawed frozen whipped topping (I used the fat free kind)
  • 12 OREO cookies, coarsely crushed (I just grabbed one of those small packages they sell by the checkout counter and called it good.)


    1. Bake the devil's food cake according to the directions on the box. If you want to get fancy, you can always make this from scratch, but who doesn't love the ease of a mix! Completely cool before adding any fillings or frosting. 
    2. Once the cake is cooled, beat sugar and softened cream cheese together until smooth. Gently fold in whipped topping and crushed Oreos. Set aside. 
    3. Using a long knife, level off the top of both layers of cake. You want them to be flat, so they look like the cookie part of the Oreo!
    4. Place one cake layer on a plate and top with the filling. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes or until it has firmed up a bit. 
    5. On a separate plate, frost the top of the second layer with chocolate frosting. Carefully use a toothpick to draw out the Oreo design. Then pipe the black on with a round tip. This can become time consuming, but remember, it doesn't have to be perfect! 
    6. Finally, place the decorated layer on the filling layer. Use a knife to smooth out the sides. Refrigerate until serving. 

    I wasn't able to taste test while I was baking because of Lent, but the rest of the group said it was pretty darn yummy! If you decide to try it out, please let me know what you think! I am living vicariously through all the chocolate eaters out there!  

    Yum, yum yum! 

    The Year of Creative Cakes: A Small Sample

    Fourth of July 
    A superhero cake for my Superman
    Easter 2013
    Tater Miska for Emily!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment