Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Biome Week: School Stress

To say I have been a bit stressed lately would be an understatement. I can't sleep. All I want to eat is ice cream. Yea, stress. However, it is all for a good cause.

This week is Biome Week in the fifth grade. What is a biome, you ask? A biome is a unit of the environment with similar plants, animals, and climates: oceans, tundra, desert, rainforest, grasslands, wetlands, etc. We have been studying the biomes of the world for the last month, and this week is the culmination. We are BUILDING the biomes! All five fifth grade classes contributed to the ocean in our hallway. The students all brought in a three-dimensional fish of their choice, and they are so impressive! Then we hung them from the ceiling so it feels like you are swimming through the ocean in our hall.

Hallway Ocean




Clownfish
Our classroom will be transformed into the savanna grasslands. As I told my students, "Think Lion King!" We are making a huge mural on one wall, student groups are making lions and cheetahs, there is a paper river through the center of the room, and several other projects. I have been so worried that we will not complete the transformation by our due date/walk through on Friday, but the students are determined. I love watching their faces think through how to build a tree or an exotic bird.

I will post pictures as the week continues. I will also learn to take deep breaths, and let it go! My students will make what they make, and it doesn't have to be perfect. But with the right amount of time, anything is possible.

RAWWW
The start of our savanna river

Whew! I'll sleep next week :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment