Monday, April 7, 2014

Tests, Test, and More Tests

Assessment week: the one week of the year every teacher has a love hate relationship with. All week long, my students will be under pressure to do their best, and I'm under pressure to make benchmark. Below, is a list of some things I do to make this week a little easier on my students.

  1. Brain food  Each morning this week, the students will get a fruit, veggie, or cheese stick to get their bodies and brains ready for a couple hours of quiet sitting. 
  2. Peppermints during the test   I'm not sure if there is actual research backing this, but there has been a movement to allow students to suck on a peppermint while testing. It is supposed to help with their concentration, and I'm happy to have the fresh smell in my room! 
  3. Extra recess   One day this week, I am planning to have an extra recess for my students. The weather is finally nice, and after working so hard on their tests, they could use the time to get the wiggles out. 
  4. Breaks between tests   I often have a short physical routine that I do with them between tests. The routine generally involves 10 jumping jacks, 10 toe touches, stretch to the wall, wiggle, sit back down. Plus, it is a good stress reliever! My kids can't help but giggle when I'm up there making a fool of myself. 
  5. Good old fashioned encouragement    It is amazing how far a smile and a, "You got this!" can go in a student's world. 
Wish me luck, and let the testing begin! 

No comments:

Post a Comment