Thursday, March 13, 2014

Love and Lures

The sun is shining, the day is warm, and I have iced tea in front of me. It is a good day. It is a good day. It is a good day! I am so tired today that I'm having a hard time focusing on anything but staying awake, but I really can't complain. Afterall, this sleepy feeling is my own fault...

Over the past few weeks, I have been working with a student on a behavior plan. He earns points for good behavior, and at the end of the week, if he reaches his goal, he receives one of his favorite things: fishing lures! The only problem with this genius plan is that I know next to nothing about fishing, and as of last night, I still didn't have any lures for the week. Thankfully, Adam does know quite a bit about fishing. Some might even classify him as a lover of the sport. When I realized that Friday was coming fast, I asked Adam to help me out with my lure-less dilemma. He was on board, but mentioned that the only congruent time off we would have in the next two days would be after his 10pm shift. He offered to go it alone so that I could sleep, but we haven't seen much of one another this week, so I was determined to wake up and head out. Crazy? Absolutely, but I'm so glad I made the time to spend with him. 


Over the last few months, we have learned a lot about each other's love languages. While mine are acts of service and physical touch, we were surprised to find out his is quality time. I say we were surprised because Adam has always needed time to himself. What guy out there doesn't?  But apparently he quite likes spending time with me too; probably a good thing since we're linked for life. Since learning more about his love language, I've been actively looking for ways to spend quality time with him, which has proven to be tough with our schedules.


The point is, last night we went to Walmart at 10:50 p.m., a time that is normally reserved for pillows and pj's in my weekday life. We spent almost an hour buying fishing gear, toilet paper, and making fun of my people of Walmart outfit: XL red long sleeved T-shirt, Adam's long shorts, black furry snow boots, and a white jacket. Hey, I can't always be a fashion icon! We laughed, we spent way more money than we had intended, and in my eyes, that hour with my husband was well worth today's sleepy feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment