Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Two Delicious Meals and a Hawkeye Game

There is nothing quite like being in the stands at your favorite college football team's game. It brings you right back to your 19 year old self; filled with school spirit, a smile on your face, and with the sudden ability to high five your neighbor like you've known them your whole life!



Last Saturday, I was able to bring all of those feeling back to life at the Iowa Hawkeyes v. Ball State Cardinals game. And let me tell you, it was awesome. It may not have been a great game until the last five minutes, but I still had a blast!


It all started late last week when my friend Lindsay asked if Adam had to work the weekend. Like most weekends, he shockingly did, so she let me know she had an extra ticket to the game and wanted to know if I'd tag along. Jackpot! What else did I have to do on a sunny and 70 degree day? I was in!

(This is where I convinced myself that the house could be cleaned later, the basement didn't need my attention, and the weeds in the garden added a little pizzazz.)

We left around seven, picked up another friend in Des Moines on the way, and headed to my freshmen and sophomore stomping grounds. By the time we pulled back in the driveway around ten-thirty, I was exhausted. I must confess, I fell off the sugar free wagon and ate chex mix, two bratwurst, and one beautiful brew. But don't worry, I paid for it that night like I always do. When in Rome, right? Traveling is terribly hard sugar-free, and if I stress myself over one day, I'll never make it a LIFESTYLE change. So I'm not to down on myself.



Speaking of my sugar free lifestyle, this week I've made a couple delicious dishes!

The first was Carrot alla Carbonara from Grok Grub. For the most part I followed the recipe, though next time I will double it so we can have some yummy leftovers!

Adam told me not to put up a picture of the Carrot alla Carbonara because it looks way worse than it tastes.
He is probably right. But it was yummy!


The second was my way of being lazy. Throw some veggies and meat in the oven and call it good! I call it Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Sausage (accepting suggestions for names at this time).



Adam loved it! I loved it! Plus,  it was almost better as lunch leftovers the next day. Do you want to know the best part? Other than a little chopping, it was a cinch!




Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Sausage

Ingredients

  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • large sweet onion, sliced
  • 8oz. carrot chips
  • 2 sweet potatoes, sliced
  • 1.5 lb chorizo sausage 
  • Italian seasoning to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover baking sheet in foil. 
  2. In large bowl, combine onion, carrot, sweet potatoes, italian seasoning and olive oil. Spread vegetable mixture evenly on one or two baking sheets.
  3. Make 1 inch balls of the sausage and disperse on the baking sheets.  I basically throw them where I see an empty spot! When all of the ingredients are on the sheet, it will be full, but not piled. 
  4. Bake 40-45 minutes, turning halfway through. 
  5. Serve over cauliflower mash and enjoy! 
Happy eating! Happy living! 

No comments:

Post a Comment