Saturday, September 27, 2014

September Date: Guns, Sushi, and Shopping

Each time I write a 12 dates of Christmas post, I start to get a little sad thinking about how this amazing 12 month dating adventure will soon come to a close. Nevertheless, we have fun every month on our date escapades, and this month was no different. Per usual, we went off course...a lot!

Here is what Adam opened on September 1! The letter was accompanied by $40 and a Junction Creamery gift certificate.


SEPTEMBER
This is the date you’ve been waiting for! You’re taking me to the shooting range! Unless something has changed in the last 9 months, I’m guessing I haven’t seen you and your shooting talent all the often, and I am looking forward to it! Nothing sexier than watching my man doing something he is passionate about! And since we both know I’ll need it after the hot steal in my hands, we’re going to the creamery to cool down after we tear that target apart! 



There were just two small problems with the date I had planned way back in December of 2013.

  1. I had no idea we I would be sugar free nine months later, so the creamery wasn't the best date spot.
  2. Apparently there isn't a shooting range anywhere close to where we live...oops! 

Never fear! As always, we tweaked a few things and went on our merry little way! Because of work schedules, we started this date on a Thursday evening, at my parents house, about 35 minutes from our home in the middle of the country. It is the perfect place to fire off a few rounds. 

Hanging out with the parentals doesn't sound like a date to you? Not exactly a romantic setting? 

Well, you're right. But we took care of the one-on-one date portion the following day. But on Thursday, we enjoyed some farm fresh air, my welcoming mom and dad, and the sweet smell of guns. Ha! 

Adam brought a target, his two guns, and earplugs. I brought a good attitude and the excitement to see my husband do something he truly enjoys. 

We got all set up and ready to go, but hadn't counted on one thing. It was a surprisingly chilly day for mid September! BANG! I got my first shot off, and all I could think was, "Ouch!" Icy hands and a gun I'm not used to were cause for a not so pleasant sting in my flanges! After the initial pain and switching back to the gun I prefer (when did I become a person who talks about preferred guns?!) I felt much better.



Though you never would have known from my almost untouched target. Oh well, guess I'll never be a sharp shooter! 


Adam's skill, however, has improved quite a bit since the last time we went out together! A few weeks earlier, his whole department had to re-certify. Stories about laying on his stomach, timing his shots, and using different stances had me intrigued. I wanted to see what the recertification "course" would be.  While initially refusing, peer pressure broke him down, and I got to see what he does while on duty.




I'm so proud of the path he has chosen for himself. 

Since we were at my parent's house, we stayed for dinner. It was great to hang out and catch up, but it wasn't quite the marriage building, fun, just the two of us date we had had in mind...so September Date Day Part II was born!

Part II: Friday night in Des Moines. Shopping, without buying, at Nike Outlet, Dicks, and the mall. Spur of the moment sushi at Samuri. Many laughs. So much love. TOTALLY date-worthy. Dating my husband is the best feeling in the whole world. 

Yea, I can palm a ball. 

Until next month!  

No comments:

Post a Comment