Friday, December 12, 2014

Grief

A young man, a former student, a brother, and a son suffered a brain aneurysm a few days ago and within hours, passed away .

Erik was one of those students who exuded life. I only taught him briefly, as he wasn't in my third grade room back at Sacred Heart, but his family was present all around the school.  He lived his Catholic faith. He was one of the students who gave me faith that the Catholic Church had a future. I am sure Tuesday evening was spent pouring out prayers from all who knew Erik, but soon we found out God had called him to Heaven.

The strange thing is, he was not a student that I kept track of after leaving SHS. Other than the occasional update from teachers still at the school, my path had a very slim chance of ever crossing his again. Yet, I have been struggling with the news. The smallest things will remind me of his passing, my heart will break (yet again) for his family and friends, and before I know it, I am choking back tears.  

He was only twenty years old. He was too young to take his journey, though there is no doubt he is an amazing angle.

When tragedies such as this happen, I always come to the same conclusion; hug your family tight, remind them that they are loved, and thank God every day for the goodness in your world.

Live your life with intention, purpose, and passion.

Rest in peace young man. For in this world, you will be missed.

“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Psalm 73:26  

No comments:

Post a Comment