Saturday, May 31, 2014

I Don't Check Bags

In my early 20's, I revived a deep passion of mine. A passion that was instilled when I was young, but didn't fully blossom until I was able to make my own decisions and take off...on a jet plane! I love traveling, and over the years I have become quite amazing in my packing skills.

It all started on a trip to New Zealand when I was 22. I like to say I lived there, but lets be honest, it was a trip. I was so excited to do my student teaching in a foreign country! Heck, I was just excited to have a passport! I packed and packed, and packed some more. After all, I was going to be there for three or four months. It was going to be the best trip of my life! The only problem was...one of my bags didn't show up until month three! Thankfully, I was able to live off the bag that did show up, and the amazing Target/Walmart/Pamida type store in Alexandra, my new home base.

But that was it for me. Never again have I checked a bag! I have been to several countries, including a month long Europe trip, and my trusty carryon is the only thing that comes along. When I tell people they look at me like I'm a nut, but for my life it is so much less stress.

The only pesky problem is not being able to bring a full bottle of sunscreen everywhere I go. (My mom would be so proud.)


So how do I go from this...
to this?  It is simple! As long as I follow a plan. 


It all starts with putting first things first. Every good packer must begin with a list. If you just start throwing things in your suitcase, you'll never have enough room to fit in that hair dryer you may have forgotten...because it wasn't on the list.  If you look closely on the right, you will notice Adam got ahold of my list and added a few amusing, but unnecessary items. He cracks me up.



Some people say that rolling your clothes is the best way to pack, but I completely disagree. You can get so many more outfits in there if you fold. The trick is HOW you fold. I fold clothes into long, skinny rectangles. This allows me to split my suitcase into two sections which means tons of clothes!




But, it is all about meticulous folding. For most items, I literally fold them into the case. I alternate the waistband of my pants to be on the left or right side because that is bulkiest part of the pant. If you don't alternate, you end up with one side full before the other.


Before and after of my swimsuits: even these bad boys get folded to save space! 







What is the best thing to do to survive carryon only? Bring a big purse! I put all of my liquids, Kindle, tickets, meds and anything else that just won't quite fit in the big hobo purse. It is the perfect solution. Plus, the strap is large enough to hook to the top of my suitcase, so I don't get tired from lugging it around. 

The end result may not be pretty, but it works for me. My trusty old carryon has served me well over the years. I really should write Santa a thank you note. 

Happy traveling! 

No comments:

Post a Comment