Friday, August 1, 2014

Appendicitis: Surprise!

Let me just start out by saying, my husband is amazing. 

For the last few days, my lower stomach had been bothering me. But considering my medical history, I really didn't give it much thought. We even had a wonderful date from our 12 Dates For Christmas! But yesterday, things got worse...

After a particularly cranky few hours out of me, Adam and I were on our way to get some more over the counter medicine when he convinced me to bite the bullet, and go to the doctor. The pain was bad enough at this point that I was tearing up so I conceded. Off we drove to the walk in clinic in Indianola, about 35 minutes away. We had to make a couple stops in corn fields along the way for me and by the time we arrived, I was not a pretty picture. 

Thankfully, we got right in! They did some tests, decided that it was a kidney infection and told us I would have to spend the night in a hospital for antibiotics and fluids. Under the assumption that it was only minor, we decided to head back to our hometown hospital. 

But why go to two hospitals in one day when you could go to a three? After a cat-scan, we found out it was actually an appendicitis. Fun fact: there are no surgeons in Osceola. Instead of paying for an ambulance (we just started Dave and that was NOT in the budget), we decided to take a road trip up to Iowa Methodist. 


Did I mention my husband is amazing? Through all of this, he was answering questions, making sure I was comfortable, called in to work to be with me, and kept me smiling. He. Is. Wonderful. 



Fifteen hours after what was supposed to be a trip to the drugstore, I was wheeled into the operating room and lost .4 pounds in unnecessary organs. Bye-bye appendix! 


I'm quite thankful that we caught this all when we did, and even more thankful that I have family and friends that checked in on us all day long. 

Looks like I'll have to take a break from my new favorite app for a while! 

Here is to the road to recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment