Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Turning the Big 3-0

It is official. I am thirty. It has been a long time coming (30 years to be exact), but I made it. When someone brought up this birthday in the months and weeks leading up to November, my face would automatically twist into an uncomfortable grimace.



I was going to stay 29 forever. Period. End of story. Or, at least until my husband caught up with me.

While I just turned 30, the handsome man standing next to me in life is still 26. Yes, yes, soon to be 27, but who's counting?

Birthday Party

Apparently, I was! That is...until last Monday. There were only five days left in my 20's, the weekend hadn't been long enough, and I was grumpy. I sent my daily email to Mrs. Emily Miska, and it was dripping with bad attitudes and societal pressures about getting old. I was set in my anger about the pending age change, but Emily was having none of it.

Here was her reply:

"Okay missy miss, this is your PEP UP wake up call!!! Time for a little tough love. Age is just a number, seriously. Think about this -- you are MUCH healthier this year at this time than you were last year at this time, both mentally and physically. You are not getting old, you are gaining life experience that is shaping you into the person you are today. I know it is so hard to think about turning 30 because of all the negativity surrounding it, but I have heard over and over that people’s 30's are their favorite years. The best is yet to come, my friend."

Talk about a much needed swift kick in the tush!

She was so right! Why was I putting so much emphasis on a number? Twenty-nine was one of the hardest years of my life. There were some serious changes and choices I had to make for my health and sanity. Sugar free became my mantra. I learned to understand and stand up for my own needs. Truly open lines of communication became a part of our marriage. I made a long awaited change in my career, and...

I have never been happier. I think this 30's thing is going to be alright.

Birthday Bubbles
Not Sugar Free...but it was a celebration!
And that "best" includes a trip to watch the BEARS!


1 comment:

  1. So sorry I missed saying Happy 30th to you! The 30s are super! Way to have a positive attitude!

    ReplyDelete