Friday, October 3, 2014

Cauliflower Pizza: My New Go To

Apparently I have been talking about and eating quite a bit of cauliflower lately. So much so that I have gotten the question, "Is there anything you can't make with cauliflower?!" on more than one occasion!

While I would never go so far as to add cauliflower to my banana ice cream, the Fitz Family Kitchen has been pumping out more than its fair share of this white cruciferous! Just so you can picture it for yourself, Adam and I try to do a weekly shop, and last week we picked up six heads of cauliflower...and some Gas-X.

Those six heads in our fridge are what inspired me to play around with cauliflower crust pizza.



Thanks to the hundreds of articles out there on "The Perfect Cauliflower Crust", I have finally figured the crust part out! This post from Detoxinista is awesome. In fact, it is the only one that finally made me feel like I was eating crust, not mush! It isn't exactly hand tossed Pizza Hut, but it certainly gets the job done. I wish I would have taken more pictures, but my hands were covered in gooey goat cheese and delicious garlic.  Guess we will have to settle for the final product picture.

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Crust

  • 1 large head of cauliflower
  • 3 cloves garlic, diced
  • 5 oz soft goat cheese
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1 t oregano
  • 1 t Italian Seasoning
  • pinch of salt
  1. Chop and rice the cauliflower in your food processor. In a large pot, bring about an inch of water to a boil. Add your riced cauliflower and boil for 4-5 minutes. 
  2. Drain in a small hole colander. Here is the important part (a step I did not initially include in my cauliflower madness and seared my hands a bit), let the cauliflower cool a bit! It should still have some warmth, but should no longer be HOT. This took mine about 20 minutes, so I made my sauce (below) while I waited. 
  3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. 
  4. Once the cauliflower has cooled, place the "rice" in a thin cloth (cheesecloth, clean handkerchief, or whatever you have on hand) and squeeze the moisture out. There will be a ton! The more water you release, the better your crust will stick together, so squeeeeze like you've never squeezed before. 
  5. Combine cauliflower with the remaining ingredients. The best way to do this is by getting hands on! Insure that all of the goat cheese is evenly dispersed. This crust feels nothing like normal crust. It will be sticky. 
  6. Spread the crust on your prepared parchment paper. It should be about 1/4 inch thick. 
  7. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown. 
  8. Remove, add all the yummy toppings you desire (including the sauce below!) and bake for another 8-10 minutes. Voila!
Sauce


  • 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 medium jalapeno (seeds removed)
  • 1T Italian seasoning 
  • 2 large cloves garlic
  • 1/3 of a yellow onion
  1. Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until desired consistency is achieved. How easy is that?


What should I try to make with my favorite vegetable next? 

1 comment: