Friday, February 7, 2014

January Date

Our first date of the 12 dates of Christmas almost didn't happen! I knew, when I got the gift together, that coordinating schedules would be a task, but who knew that our first weekend night together wouldn't happen until January 24th!

Every month of 2014 will bring Adam and I a preplanned, prepaid date. Some are active and bring us to Des Moines, and some are at home dates that have us playing together. The first date's envelope had the following letter in it...


JANUARY
Let’s get things started!
It seems like, since we have moved, you have brought up Fong’s Pizza at least once a month! I do not know if you crave the Kung Pao Chicken, Crab Ragoon, Fongolian Beef, or the basic Big Delicious! But on this month’s date, you get to devour your favorite!
After we’ve dined in style, we will move to another of your favorite pastimes…VIDEO GAMES! We will visit the newest Barcade – Up, Down! With 25 cent games, I’m sure even you could beat me in skee-ball once ;-)

What man wouldn't love pizza, beer, and video games? Apparently my wonderful husband had a little something extra in mind. This is how our first date was AMAZING, but also got off track. On our way to DSM, Adam mentioned that it miiiiight be nice to have a sit down dinner, and I wasn't about to give up on a chance to go to someplace yummy. So we decided to check out Cool Basil, a Thai place that I love but the hubs had never been to. YUM! 
Adam showing off his new Olympic shirt and meal.
So delicious! 
Adam's idea of a photo opportunity. 

Did I mention that the following day, we were supposed to be in Council Bluffs for Adam's family Christmas? Well, we did, and this fact came into play shortly. While we were devouring our spicy Thai, it started to snow outside. If you're from the midwest, you are aware that a maga-storm can come up and do some real damage in a matter of minutes. Before I knew what was happening, Adam pulled out his phone, jumped on Hotwire, and booked us a room for the night. Adam is a great winter driver, so we normally would have gone with it...however, he had a little something different in mind. Our date night, turned into a full weekend.

We still went to the local arcade after dinner (so many laughs), ended up at Fong's pizza for late night snacks (delicious), and made it to family Christmas on time (success!).

On our drive home from Council Bluffs, we stopped to get gas and snacks. While I was searching for the right type of tea, Adam came up and hugged me tight to his chest, right there in the frozen section. "I'm not ready to go back to reality," he said. "This weekend has been really amazing. It felt like we were back to the couple we used to be. Thank you."

I guess these dates were a good idea, after all :-)
wedding bands and wine


No comments:

Post a Comment